Monday, May 27, 2013

That Wasn't Employment... That was Slavery.

Right now, at this particular moment, I am employed.  That is about to change.  

A good part of this blog may include my search for decent employment opportunities, of which there apparently are too few.  

I have worked for a certain shipping/printing company for about a month.  It took forever to get this job.  I applied and went two months with here-and-there interviews that happened sporadically and without warning.  You would have thought I was applying to be an agent for the CIA.  The guy seemed to be frazzled and in a hurry all the time.  I thought it was because he was just extremely busy.  After all, he owns two of these businesses.  Turns out, he's just an ass with a complex.

When I received the offer, I was a little surprised.  They needed a graphic designer (which I am) who was willing to help with shipping and production (which I was).  All at a whopping $12 per hour.  Now, I'm no Einstein here, but I'm pretty sure that designers make a little more than that... and that was confirmed when I learned what I was to bill clients.  

What I didn't know before I accepted the offer was that I was being hired to be abused by the owner's rather large and hateful wife and be a scapegoat and punching bag for everyone who was having a bad day.  Umm....they hired the wrong girl, let me tell ya.  I'm not the person who sits quietly while she is bitched at, thrown under the bus, fed to the wolves...  nope.

So, I'm done.

Now I just have to do something else.  Draw maybe.  Freelance design.  Something that I love, but without the worlds' biggest a-holes to suck the love out of it.  

Sadly, this kind of environment seems to be the norm in this area.  I have several friends who work for different companies that are treated much the same.  I think it might be book-worthy...combining the experiences of the "hourly worker."

Now there's a thought....   

While the Hubs is in Florida, preparing for his new Owner-Operator gig, I am stressed like never before.  Must find work.  Must make money.  God knows if this is OO thing is going to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment