Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Come and go... Get used to it.

And the hubby is in Florida learning everything he needs to know.  

When we got married, he worked locally, so he was home every night.  I told him, over and over again, "Now, I'm not getting married just for you to go OTR and leave me home alone!"  Of course, I wouldn't be alone...  He has a daughter. 

And, of course, he went OTR shortly after we were married.  I have basically been the sole influence of "our" daughter for the past 9 years.  She is now as much mine as she is his.

The young lady and I managed pretty well and got into our own routine.  I am something of a perfectionist control freak, and if she wasn't before we spent all of this time together, I made her that way.  




Here's the thing...  If your husband is gone for an extended period of time (and I don't care if you talk several times a day over the telephone, ringing up bills that rival the national debt), then comes home, there is going to be friction.  I don't care if it's the one time that he doesn't rinse off the bar of soap in the shower, or if he leaves a sock by the bed...  You are bound to encounter this same feeling.  

Who is this man who thinks he can just come up in here and mess up my sink, leaving his glass on the side table, moving the lids to the coffee mugs to another drawer???  WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS???   

Of course, we always get excited when he's on his way home.  We can't wait for him to get here and we are always sad to see him go.  

BUT...  When he comes home and stays for weeks at a time...  Well, that's a whole different issue altogether.  Any other wife of a trucker is going to understand this.  Once you get used to things being a certain way, without a man around, you are just USED TO IT.  And it takes some time to get that way.  So when the man comes home and stays a while, you have to get used to that.   Then you know they are just going to leave eventually and you get to start all over.  

So now I am working on getting used to him being gone.  It's no easier than any time before, except for the fact that I know it will happen.  I know what to expect.  

Well...  most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment